Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Pod cast post

I didn’t really like the song. It felt like a stream of consciousness that was too long. I think that if it was broken into several individual songs it would be amazing. Each time the music changed he uses a different style and tone. The only consistent musical theme is the melancholy overtones and occasional parts of loud anguish. I also didn’t like the author changing the way he sang. Sometimes he would be 50’s and then change to a 70’s style. It just doesn’t seem right to me. That style change was also characteristic of the guitar.

There does not appear to be any rhyme scheme to the lyrics. The author relies too often on repetition and alliterations. This style gets old, especially after forty five minutes.

The time was another bummer for me. After about thirty minutes I stopped listening for the meaning and just tried to get through it so that I could turn this in. It does make good background music while I was writing.

I also don’t like the author’s tone. It seems whiney to me, and I don’t like whiney things or people. There is no benefit to looking at whiners or what they are whining about.

I think that the author addressed too many themes at the same time. He talked about dying and keeping the house clean, all in the same song. Sometimes he talks about how lucky he was to still be alive. Other times he talks about wanting her back so much that he will do all of the things that he never used too. This even includes doing the laundry.

I am definitely not the right audience for this song. It is written for a woman who is not with him anymore. I know that it was also written for a larger audience than just that, but that is who it is addressed too. This perspective loses most of the meaning for me. I have never had anyone break up with me, so I can’t really relate to this man’s experiences. This limits the impact. I think it may have a broader appeal, if it wasn’t so long.

It was incredibly hard to find onomatopoeia in this poem. There were not a lot of similes or metaphors either, which surprised me. This poem was rich with symbols and imagery, but I didn’t trust myself enough to pick that many out, or what they stood for. What was the gold mine of the first or second section? What about the open window or the colors spilling in?

The imagery was easier to pick out. It thought that the writer did a fine job of using everyday objects and describing them in such a way that they take on new meaning and power. The imagery was definitely mixed up in the symbolism.

I don’t understand where the end about dying came from. Is she dead? Is he actually dying? Or is the dying just another symbol?

Mr. Hughes, Was this song very popular? Who was it written by, and when was it written?

1 comment:

Rory said...

tim-

1. break up paragraphs w/spaces.
2. the album is "sky blue sky" by wilco.
3. you have an amazing knack for analyzing poetry whether you recognize it or not. trust me, the ap poetry portion will be a piece of cake given what you've said here. my only advice would be to try not to focus on whether you "like" the piece; rather, consider whether you think it has literary merit--that is, is it worth studying in an ap class?
4. did this make you appreciate poetry any more ore less?